Elderly man taken to Armadale Hospital after fire tears through the front room of his Maddington home

Headshot of Sarah Steger
Sarah StegerThe West Australian
Email Sarah Steger
VideoAn elderly resident was taken to hospital after a fire tore through his Maddington home

An elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire tore through the front room of his Maddington home.

Six fire crews responded to reports of the blaze on Heron Place at 6.21pm yesterday.

Within minutes firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control, which started in the front room of the small brick unit.

Footage shows the security screen outside the front window severely damaged, with parts of the metal completely melted.

Furniture and other possessions inside the affected room, including artwork, were also destroyed in the fire, and parts of the home’s exterior were left blackened — including some outdoor furniture and a red walker.

An elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire tore through the front room of his Maddington home.
Camera IconAn elderly man has been taken to hospital after a fire tore through the front room of his Maddington home. Credit: 7News

Police, St John Ambulance and Western Power were also called to the fire, which was later confirmed to caused by an electrical fault.

An elderly man who was inside when the fire took hold was taken to Armadale Hospital.

It is understood he did not suffer life-threatening injuries.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails