The South Australian budget at a glance
KEY POINTS IN THE SOUTH AUSTRALIAN BUDGET:
* The budget deficit to remain high in the coming year at $1.39 billion
* A modest surplus forecast for 2022/23 of $48 million before rising to $498 million the following year
* Total state debt to balloon to $33.6 billion by 2024/25
* GST returns over the forward estimates now expected to be $2.5 billion higher than forecast last year
* The SA economy to grow by 3.5 per cent in 2021/22 and then 2.25 per cent across the forward estimates
* Employment growth in 2021/22 forecast to be 2 per cent, before settling in at 1.25 per cent over the following three years
* Government lending to rise to $3.2 billion in 2021/22
* Confirmation the new Women's and Children's Hospital will cost $1.95 billion with the first patients to be admitted in 2027
* A $17.9 billion infrastructure program including $800 million for road projects along with $84.4 million over three years for a new suburban high school and $78.9 million for early work on the $662 million Riverbank Arena sports stadium.
* A $163.5 million mental health package including $48 million for a 20-bed acute older person's unit and $33 million for a 16-bed crisis care unit
* More funds across health to reduce pressure on emergency wards, increase bed capacity and tackle ambulance ramping
* A $50 million early learning strategy to increase early intervention and child development health checks
* A $200 million Economic Growth Fund to boost jobs particularly in the defence, space and hydrogen sectors.
* Total public sector job numbers to remain steady across the forward estimates at about 86,000
* Increases in fines and charges generally limited to 1.9 per cent.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails