Mother, hurt son reunited

NICOLA KALMARBroome Advertiser

A Broome mother has been reunited with her son in hospital, a week after he was brutally attacked at a birthday party in Broome.

Karen Sebastian was distraught to find out her son Peter, 21, had been beaten, allegedly by three teenagers after an altercation at a Broome party.

The incident happened about 2am on January 27 at a Cable Beach residence where Mr Sebastian and his alleged attackers had been guests.

Detective Senior Constable Jeremy Spivey said Mr Sebastian was chased by three juveniles aged 14 to 15. They allegedly threw a rock at him before punching and kicking him.

A Broome resident resuscitated Mr Sebastian and stayed with him until an ambulance arrived.

Mr Sebastian was taken to Broome Hospital with serious head injuries and was later flown to Royal Perth Hospital where he was in an induced coma.

Mrs Sebastian said her son had suffered a swollen brain, fractured skull and neck, and had potentially lost the sight in his left eye.

He is now in a stable condition.

Since the incident, the distraught mother and her family had been desperate to visit Mr Sebastian in hospital but could not afford the flight to Perth or accommodation there.

Mrs Sebastian’s family and friends alerted the public to the family’s plea through social media.

The Broome, South Hedland and Port Hedland communities responded generously through donations and fundraising events.

Mrs Sebastian and her children were finally able to afford a bus trip to Perth and arrived late on Sunday afternoon.

In an emotional reunion, Mrs Sebastian said she was when her son recognised her.

“He was shocked to see me,” she said. “He had a big smile on his face and we both cried.”

Mrs Sebastian said her son was a popular, well-known young man around Broome.

“Peter is a very outgoing person,” she said.

She said her son spent a lot of time with youths, including volunteering with youth groups.

Mrs Sebastian said she planned to stay in Perth with family so she could be by her son’s side. She said she was grateful to the public for their tremendous support and for enabling her to be with her son.

Three teenagers appeared in Broome Magistrate’s Court last Tuesday charged with grievous bodily harm and have been remanded in custody until their next court appearance in Perth on Thursday.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails