Home

KMS to deliver traffic impact assessment after pressure from protest group over Gubinge Road traffic

Cain AndrewsBroome Advertiser
No More Trucks protesters at their meeting on March 22.
Camera IconNo More Trucks protesters at their meeting on March 22. Credit: Supplied

Kimberley Mineral Sands will have to prepare a traffic assessment before it can use quad road trains on Gubinge Road.

The proposal has some Broome residents up in arms, with dozens meeting on March 22 to discuss the miner’s proposal to have 42 trucks transport freight into Broome Port per day.

The group, No More Trucks, gathered at Lotteries House to discuss its concerns over the KMS proposal and look for possible solutions as they signed an open letter to the State Government calling for support.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

READ NOW

It comes after the group first aired their concerns in October last year, expressing their dismay over the plan to have up to 100 truck movements along the Gubinge Road route to Broome Port per day.

Jan Lewis doesn't want KMS trucks to travel to Broome Port via Gubinge Road.
Camera IconJan Lewis doesn't want KMS trucks to travel to Broome Port via Gubinge Road. Credit: Cain Andrews/RegionalHUB

A key concern for the group is KMS’ plan to use 60m-long four-trailer trucks. The current maximum truck length allowed on Gubinge Road and Port Drive is 53.5m.

However, after the group sent a letter to Transport Minister Rita Saffioti on March 7, Main Roads confirmed it had granted KMS in-principle support to use quad road trains subject to the company preparing a traffic impact assessment.

A letter to the group from Ms Saffioti’s office said the group’s concerns were acknowledged and the assessment would address those concerns.

No More Trucks protesters at their meeting on March 22.
Camera IconNo More Trucks protesters at their meeting on March 22. Credit: Supplied

“(Main Roads), in consultation with the Shire of Broome, will arrange for a road safety audit to be undertaken on both Gubinge Road and Port Drive,” the letter said.

“A cartage management plan must also be prepared and endorsed by Main Roads, addressing the community’s concerns related to increased heavy vehicle traffic through town and how future complaints from the community will be managed.”

As part of the audit, traffic counters will be installed on parts of Gubinge Road and Port Drive to determine traffic volumes.

“The counters will be installed again during the tourist season, with the data collected to form part of the overall audit report,” the letter from Ms Saffioti’s office said.

No More Trucks spokesperson Jan Lewis welcomed the response and said it “confirmed the legitimacy” of the group’s concerns.

But the 2021 Broome Citizen of the Year also called for the assessment to be independent.

“It’s a relief actually,” she said.

“When I first contacted Main Roads, they told me Gubinge Road had relatively low traffic and pedestrian volumes and that there was nothing wrong with it and I said ‘Really? By what standards?’.

“But to ensure maximum objectivity we are calling for any assessments to be done by independent experts.”

The Department of Transport said the audit and traffic impact assessment would be held before the end of the financial year.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails