Home

Olivia Mulheim, Lucas Schindler identified as Swiss tourists in fatal shark attack at Kylies Beach, NSW

Madeline CoveThe Nightly
CommentsComments
VideoThe male attempted to fight off the predator, while swimming his partner to shore to get help from a bystander.

The two Swiss tourists involved in the fatal shark attack on the NSW Mid North Coast have now been formally identified, as authorities continue searching for the predator responsible.

Olivia Mulheim, 25, died after she and her partner, 26-year-old Lucas Schindler, were mauled while swimming off Kylies Beach in Crowdy Bay National Park. The pair had been filming dolphins on a GoPro when the shark struck — a moment detectives believe may have been captured on the device.

Mulheim, an investment associate with Swiss asset manager Bellecapital, studied at the University of St Gallen and was heavily involved in competitive swimming, serving as an artistic swimming judge with the Swiss Swimming Federation.

Despite suffering catastrophic leg injuries, Mr Schindler fought the shark off and dragged Mulheim back to shore.

Bystanders rushed to help, fashioning a makeshift tourniquet that likely saved his life. While Mulheim could not be revived, Mr Schindler was winched to John Hunter Hospital and has stabilised, though doctors fear the marathon runner may never fully regain his mobility, News.com.au reported.

Not Supplied
Camera IconNot Supplied Credit: Supplied

“Everyone was talking about it yesterday, it’s just terrible,” a local resident said.

“My child was camping out here last week, swimming. I just couldn’t imagine how everyone’s feeling.”

Shark attack survivor David Pearson said Mr Schindler faces an immense physical and emotional recovery.

“So he’s in a whole world of hurt, obviously not just from his injury, but, you know, emotionally he’s going to be really struggling,” he said.

Experts believe the couple were attacked by a bull shark. Stock image.
Camera IconExperts believe the couple were attacked by a bull shark. Stock image. Credit: VW Pics/Universal Images Group via Getty

Mr Pearson is part of a peer-support network helping survivors navigate life after an attack.

“We’re here to try and help people understand life after an attack, because it’s not an easy journey,” he said.

In the wake of the tragedy, beaches across Crowdy Bay remain closed, with Fisheries NSW deploying multiple drum lines and Surf Life Saving crews using drones to scan the coastline. No sharks have been detected since the attack.

The couple had arrived at the nearby campground on Wednesday and were believed to be travelling in a hire car from Queensland. Their GoPro footage is expected to help specialists determine the species involved, with early assessments consistent with a mature bull shark.

NSW Ambulance Superintendent Josh Smyth previously praised the bystander who applied the makeshift tourniquet, saying it “potentially saved his life”.

Lukas Schindler and his girlfriend were attacked by a shark on Thursday.
Camera IconLukas Schindler and his girlfriend were attacked by a shark on Thursday. Credit: 7NEWS

The attack has reignited calls for more life-saving equipment on unpatrolled beaches, with Australian surfer Danny Schouten continuing his fundraising campaign to install shark bite kits nationwide.

“When a shark attack happens, every second counts,” Mr Schouten said.

“A Shark Bite Kit provides tools that can help control bleeding and hopefully increase someone’s chance of survival.”

Mulheim and Mr Schindler had been in Australia for a coastal road trip, a holiday that has now ended in tragedy.

A police report for the coroner is being prepared.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails